Avoidable Falls

For me, falling is like dropping in free fall and trying desperately to recover so I don't fall. While I often joke around that I am really good at falling, this past week I took three tumbles that showed me falling is still scary no matter how good you are at it.

While a lot of my falls are unavoidable due to my vision and balance, a fall this weekend could have been avoided if a mail truck driver would have used common sense and followed ADA regulations about parking. I was walking out a different exit in my apartment building than I normally do and I did not see a step in front of me. There was a mail truck parked in front of the cutout where I would normally exit the curb. Therefore, I did not realize there was a curb in front of me until I was falling down it. 

After I pointed this violation out to my Aunt, she went into a nearby store to tell them about the truck being there. They said to her that they are probably just delivering the mail. My aunt then told them how I fell down the step and the truck should not be parked in front of the cutout. 

When you do not have a physical disability you do not have to think about little things like stepping down a curb. However, please be aware that others do and where you park can mean the difference between someone staying on their feet and being on their bottom. 

Written by 
Sydney Breslow 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels