My "Journey" with Journey

Imagine losing a dog who looked at you like you were the best thing since sliced bread and followed you everywhere. This is what happened to me today and I am absolutely devastated.

I patiently waited for a service dog for three and a half years. In that time, we had a dog who was too hyper, a dog who was too short and then we got journey.. .

Journey is the sweetest dog I have ever met but unfortunately he made it more difficult for me to walk.  He was way too distracted by other dogs, people and smells. He also did not listen to a word I said because well he thought he was Alpha dog. Unfortunately, with my lack of strength and his need to be in control it made for a dangerous match.

However, for the three weeks I had my Journey he made me laugh and smile so much. I hope he makes his new owner as happy as he made me.

Today he made the "Journey" to Pennsylvania to be with a Veteran who has PTSD and also needs help with her mobility.

Having a service dog for a short period of time really opened my eyes to how ignorant people are about how to act around service dogs. Journey's harness clearly said, "Service Dog, Ignore Me I Am Working." However, people would pet him without asking me, continue to pet him even after I said to them that he is a service dog and they cannot pet him, and talk to him directly.

This type of behavior by other people can be dangerous to the person the service dog is trying to help, as I experienced firsthand. Someone in my apartment building petted Journey as he was walking by him. He meant to pet him on the head but Journey turned around, so he ended up petting him on the back. Journey was startled by this and turned too fast and I ended up falling.

I was okay but the impact of one pet from a stranger for a service dog and their owner can be devastating. . .

While Journey did not work out for me, I hope he has the best life with his new owner and I will always remember our short time together.

Written by
Sydney Breslow


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels