"Speaking for Others"

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people speak for those with disabilities because they feel they can't speak for themselves or understand what others are saying. I believe that every person should have the ability to express their wants and needs, whether that be through speech, a communication device or even eye or body movements. 

I recently encountered a situation where a family told me that the person I would be working with can't understand. This threw my whole intake off because I am not used to talking to the family of a person without talking to the person I will be helping. I ended up asking the person with the disability the majority of the questions and I believe she understood what I was asking her. While I understand that her family is trying to help her by speaking for her, I believe that it is teaching her to not communicate her wants and needs and one day she will have to live without them. 

Additionally, I recently attended a conference and listened to a panel discussion with one person with a disability and different religious organizations that have programs that help people with disabilities. As one organization was saying that we should not speak for those with disabilities because they have a way of telling their own story, the moderator of the discussion was contradicting her. She was asking the person with a disability questions about her experience but instead of just letting her answer the questions to tell her story she was feeding her answers and summarizing what she said for the audience. I was sitting in my seat cringing at the way this young woman was being put on the spot and clearly being treated differently from the rest of the panel. 

Every person has the right to express their wants, needs and stories in their own way and society needs to let every person accomplish this basic human right. 

Written by Sydney Breslow 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels