Dreaming Big

When someone tells me I can't do something, it empowers me to prove them wrong. I was lucky enough to have teachers who empowered me in school to reach for the stars and accomplish all of my goals. However, there was one teacher who told me that she didn't think I would be successful in college because of the pace I complete my work. While this was very upsetting to me at first, it inspired me to go to college and prove this teacher wrong.

When you tell someone they can't do something, all you are doing is ruining their confidence. One time I asked a speech therapist if I would ever be able to pace my speech without tapping my finger and she said probably not. This really bothered me because one day I would like to talk at a "normal" pace without thinking about it. I asked the same question to the speech therapist I am currently working with and she said the opposite answer. This showed me that the other speech therapist really did not know the answer to the question and I am choosing to listen to the more positive answer.

One of the people I work with amazed me the other day by preparing everything needed to cook a soup despite the fact that she is almost completely blind.  While I was nervous watching her cut the vegetables, I didn't tell her she couldn't do it because of her vision.

I believe that we should not set limitations for people and instead encourage them to dream big and reach their goals despite any challenges they may face on the way.

Written by Sydney Breslow 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels