An inspirational Experience

Basketballs dribbling, wheelchairs banging, baskets shot and fans cheering. This is the scene I took in yesterday as I watched with fascination the amazing sport of wheelchair basketball.  Wheelchair basketball is an incredible and intense sport that takes true athletic ability.

One of the reasons why I enjoyed watching so much was that I felt such a community in the bleachers and on the court. From the fans cheering to opponents helping each other when they fell, I felt like I was witnessing something truly amazing. At one point, I did cheer for the wrong team due to my visual impairment and the fan sitting next to me clapping but I only felt embarrassed for a few seconds because I knew that I was in a community that would accept me for me. 

There was a little boy sitting next to his dad in the bleachers. The little boy had a physical disability and was watching the game intensely. This was such a great father-son outing because it shows the little boy that one day he can live an independent life and play sports just like every other kid at school. 

I really wish that every child in the world could see a sport being played like this because it shows that people may look different but we all have the same hopes and dreams and that a disability should not define what you can and cannot do. 

Written by Sydney Breslow 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels