"Normal is Boring"

In the process of looking for a job, there have been many times where I have felt angry about having a disability and said to myself or out loud, "I wish I could be normal." However, someone with a disability recently said to me, "normal is boring" and I thought, this is so true! I started thinking about all the things that would be different in my life if I were "normal" and I realized my disability has in part made me the person I am today.

1. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have met the amazing physical therapists that I have worked with, some of whom have become friends and even family.

2. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have the empathy that I have for people with disabilities.

3. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have the same relationship that I have with my family and friends.

4. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have met some of the amazing people that I did in college.

5. If I were "normal,"  I wouldn't know about Mitochondrial disease and be able to help raise money and awareness and be a part of the quest for a cure.

6. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have my amazing UMDF family that I feel such a connection with.

7. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have the ability to develop keen strategies to compensate in the areas that I struggle.

8. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have the same work ethic because I would probably be used to things coming easy.

9. If I were "normal," I wouldn't have met the teachers that long ago inspired me to become a teacher.

10. If I were "normal," I would take things for granted.

As Dr. Tyler Sexton, who himself has a physical disability, says, "We are all handicapped, mine the world can see but we are all struggling with something. . .my disability gives me credibility."

I strongly believe that diversity makes the world a much more interesting place to live, grow and work.

My question for you is, "How do you define normal?"

Written by Sydney Breslow 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels