Are you serious???

"Uncomfortable" is the word that I would use to describe the way a doctor made me feel in a recent appointment.

I went with my physical therapist to see about getting leg braces to help me with my walking. Little did I know the doctor would be surprised that I could even walk into his office because I have a Mitochondrial disease. He basically told me that I am lucky to be alive with the condition that I have and he was surprised that I did not come in on a scooter.

Obviously, he has little knowledge about Mitochondrial diseases because if he had done his research he would have known that the disease affects every person differently.

I said to him that even though I can walk I still have challenges with my endurance and balance. The point I was trying to make was that I am happy with how well I am doing but I will always continue to search for anything that can help me improve and compensate for my daily challenges.

I left the office feeling angry not only for the condescending way he spoke to me but for the way he made my challenges feel less important.

This was a very surprising situation for me because most of my doctors have been amazing and truly care about me reaching my full potential.

If a doctor makes you feel this way you should stand up for yourself and educate them not only on your symptoms but on the condition as a whole.

Written by: Sydney Breslow 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels