Limitless

"The only limits in life are the ones you set for yourself." This rang true on Friday when I attended the North Carolina State Fair for the first time. The fair was so much fun and definitely unlike any experience I have ever had. From the food to the rides and games, it was definitely a day to remember. Despite the enjoyment of the day, I had to think and prepare for my physical disability.

1. I had to reserve a wheelchair, which ended up being a lifesaver with all of the walking. The wheelchair allowed me to have no limits at the fair because I was able to go anywhere in spite of the crowds and excessive amount of walking.

2. I had to figure out which parking lot had handicap parking. The ironic part about this parking lot was that it was made of rocks. It was not only hard to walk on but it would really be impossible to get a wheelchair or walker over. This made me sad for people who cannot walk at all because they would probably miss out on the fair.

3. The hardest part was figuring out what I was going to eat! Some of the many options included caramel apples, funnel cake, doughnuts, ice cream, corn dogs and Thanksgiving egg rolls. The food was delicious but this was one area where I had to put a limit on myself or else I would have been there all day eating!

4. The area where I had to push myself was on the rides! I have always loved rides but this time I noticed how many barriers there are for people with disabilities to ride them. From the enormous stairs without railings to the uneven platforms it would have been a lot easier for me to stay in the wheelchair. However, once I battled my fears of falling and asked my cousin and aunt for help, it was the most thrilling and rewarding experience. The funny part: I was not scared of the rides at all, I was more worried about getting on and off of the rides safely. I was actually a dare-devil and  rode one of the scariest rides at the fair.

I am so thankful for my family who allows me to go through life limit free by helping and pushing me to reach for the stars. Aunt Debbie and Langdon allowed me to enjoy the fair limitlessly by pushing me in the wheelchair, suggesting foods, and helping me on and off the rides. I wonder what barriers I will break down next year???

Written by Sydney Breslow 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels