The Hustle and Bustle of Traveling

One of my favorite things to do is travel. Whether it is to Myrtle beach or Israel the memories that I have made on my trips have been amazing. However, traveling with a physical disability can be tough and it requires a lot of planning. Going out of the country can also be a risk because other countries do not have to follow the same physical regulations that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires. 

The following are some travel tips that people with disabilities and their families should consider when planning a trip:

1. Do you need assistance or a wheelchair in the airport? I have found that going through the airport can be very stressful. You usually don't know where to go and it can be a very crowded and overwhelming environment. Not to mention, I always seem to be at the last gate in the terminal. 

2. Do you need to take a pre-board to get on the plane? I always take a pre-board so that I have more time to walk onto the plane from the gate and I don't feel like I am being rushed by other passengers. It also gives the flight attendant more time to help me put my bag in the overhead bin. 

3. How far away is the elevator from your hotel room? When you call the hotel to book your room, you can request a room close to the elevator. Trust me, you don't want to spend all of your time and energy walking the halls of the hotel when you could be out enjoying the view. 

4. Is there a handicap bar in the shower? This is a very important consideration when requesting a hotel room. I learned at one of the UMDF symposium sessions that the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. Therefore, simply requesting a  handicap room/bathroom can be a life saver. 

5. Does the hotel/venue have handicap ramps, marked sidewalks and elevators? When I was on vacation in Mexico, they did not have handrails to go into the pools. I also fell down a step that was almost impossible to see because it was not marked.  

Most importantly. . .have fun and enjoy this time with your friends and family because I truly believe that the memories you make with your loved ones will last a lifetime. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels