The Footnote Film Project


On Friday evening, I attended the premiere screening of a documentary that my cousin, Zachary Gorelick and his girlfriend, Hannah Silverstein produced about Clubfoot. My cousin feels very connected to the topic because of his own experience with this disorder.

The documentary is truly amazing and such a great source for awareness on a topic that is not well recognized by the general population. In order to make the film, they travelled around the world and interviewed doctors and families that are connected to the Clubfoot community.

One of the messages that I took away from the film is that education is one of the most important avenues to awareness. In many countries disabilities are thought of as a curse and the children are shunned by their communities. The documentary taught me that if you explain to people what the disorder is they will most likely understand and be more accepting of the difference.

Most people become curious and even worrisome when someone looks or acts different from them. Education is a tool that anybody with a disability can use to share why they are unique and how other people can help them.

Throughout my life, my family and I have attempted to educate as many people as possible about Mitochondrial Disease through fundraisers and other avenues. In middle and high school, I did huge fundraisers at the schools I attended. However, the most important result that came from these fundraisers was the awareness that I spread about a disorder that most people have never heard about.

Please consider sharing with the world what makes you unique whether it is a disability or not.

If you are interested in watching this incredible documentary on Clubfoot, please click on the link below.
https://vimeo.com/220121020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels