Don't take things for Granted

Imagine being 16 years old and all of your friends are getting their driver's license and hearing from both your eye doctor and parents that you will NOT be able to drive. How would this make you feel? Let me be real. . .I have shed many tears over the fact that I cannot drive because it limits my freedom substantially. However, I have found other ways to get around that are not as convenient but get me where I need to go.

Before my back surgery, I took many things that I was able to do for granted. However, six weeks after my surgery and after having a major setback. . .I was not taking anything for granted. Every step I took and every word I spoke became an effort.

I vividly remember walking to dinner on vacation and literally not being able to move another step because I was so tired and my brain was not letting my feet move. My dad was walking in front of me holding my hands and cheering me on but I literally felt like I could not move. However, I did not give up and made it to my chair at the restaurant.

Prior to my surgery, I took being able to talk on the phone for an hour for granted. However after my surgery, I would get so tired talking that I literally was unable to tell the person on the other end that I would have to call them back later.

Experiencing this surgery and the setback that came with it made me appreciate all of the things that I can do independently such as, turning over in bed, cooking my own food, walking and talking. Even though walking and talking may be more difficult for me, I don't take for granted the fact that I can walk and talk.

I try to be mindful of my blessings and grateful for what I can do versus what I cannot do each and everyday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels