Let's be clear...

Imagine walking into an interview and not knowing anything about the job you are interviewing for? I feel like this is the situation I am in every time I go to an interview because it seems like the jobs in education are not posted with job descriptions.

Interviewing is a very daunting process for anybody, but for somebody with a physical disability it can be an even more nerve wracking process because you are worried about being judged based on your disability. Recently I was interviewing for a long term substitute position and towards the end of the interview I told the principal that I would not use my walker in the classroom because I only needed it to walk long distances. She responded by saying, "Thank you for being so open about it. You may have to chase a student sometimes and sometimes the safety of our students comes before our safety." I felt this was a totally inappropriate comment and honestly it made me not want to work at this particular school. Actually when I think about it, it would be very funny to see me chasing a student with my walker!

I recently had an interview at a day program for adults with intellectual disabilities. I applied for the job because it looked like a very interesting program and the job was for a general instructor.

In the beginning of the interview, the interviewer asked me standard interview questions. Then she asked me, "Are you comfortable with doing personal care?" I responded by saying, "Can you tell me what kind of personal care you are talking about?" Basically, she said that I would have to help some clients use the bathroom and perform other various tasks.  I told her that honestly I am not comfortable performing this kind of personal care and not trained for this type of job.

If I had known that personal care was a part of the job, I would have NEVER applied and I would have saved myself and the interviewer a lot of time.

I understand what my strengths and what my limitations are and if I have a better understanding of the duties of a job I can make an informed decision of whether this is the appropriate position for me to apply for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being "targeted" at Target

Doctors who are Clueless

Going the Distance on Three Wheels